Monday 9 January 2012

Music - the missing ingredient

Well Happy New Year! I hope you have a good one.
I was, in one of those rare "down tools network is sleeping in power save mode" moments during the Christmas break, reflecting that what I miss at the moment in my life is music. I think it was a number of things that might have triggered this - a visit to here Handel's Messiah, a listening to Carols from Kings and one other music moment where I perhaps selfishly on Boxing day +1 sat with my head phones on whilst the rest of the family played Monopoly.
Now I'm not absent from music sunday by sunday, but I am missing music for me. I find my spirit aching for music at times because I honetsly believe that God has created everyone for music, in as much as it seems to be a part of the creative ingredient that God has put within all. And music would therefore appear to very much a part of spirituality.
My upbringing has been musical - a choir boy at one point, then I have sung in Dorset Opera in Aida and Turandot whilst at Sherborne. And whilst there sang in the town's local choral society in things like the Christmas Oratorio and Verdi's Reqiuem. But I guess my parents always had some kind of music going on in the background, and much of that sank in. I tried the clarinet once - too much like hard work, and wanted to play the guitar, but my parents refused! If only ...! But within church settings I have had a huge amount of renewal music pumped into me, as well the traditonal hymns of childhood. Not to mention my teenage and twent years of rock and pop and jazz and ...well in fact I like it all and have fairly broad tastes. I find music will move me to tears as memories come flashing by.
And I'm missing music. I'm missing singing chorally and that sense of being a part of something that isn't what I do perhaps as a Pastor. My question to myself, is whether I should do something about that. Have I the time. Life feels out of balance without it. And I think i should change that.

No comments: