Saturday 7 May 2011

Consumer Christianity

I feel today that I could write about many things - thats the dilemma perhaps about writing, and potentially blogging. But floating in the mind this morning is that subject of Consumer Christianity. Apparently, as I read in Dr Pat Took's sermon yesterday (President of the Baptist Union this year), there is an O2 advert doing the rounds that says "the world revolves around you!" Which, Pat says is the worst possible concept - how borring, and what an awful prospect! To have the world revolve around you or me. No! And I reflect that when all is said and done, Jesus has called us not to a bed of roses and a comfortable ride, but to a life of sacrifice, servanthood and committment. Now I suggest that those last 3 words - if they summarise discipleship, are for the most Christians - offensive and challenging words. Why? Because the gospel of consumerism - of comfort, easy rides and nothing too challenging, of - as the Burger King Adverts say - "having it my way" have been bought into by many. He is not a God that I can control or shape to suit, but he is a God who requires nothing less than my all - my life, my breath. For me, thats a tough call. Will I make it? Don't know! But he requires every part of my life - my thoughts, my energy, my finances and I could go on. Don't sign up to anything less!

No comments: