Monday 13 August 2012

Sports in Schools - the real problem

Okay, so I'm going to throw my 5 quid into the arena on this, and I think I can do this with some credibility. Here's my argument - the measley 2 lessons (practically its 1) of PE a week in each primary school shows up where our values and priorities have drifted. Numerous governments have played with the national curriculum arguing that their electorate has demanded change for so called failing schools. Such schools if they are deemed to not be reaching the required standard, are set targets, and the entire Ofsted nightmare of every school seemingly being measured by whether it has had a good one or not. This either shames or applauds a local school in a community and presumably provides informed decision making freedom for parents. But here's the problem - all that is based on academic prowess, not on sport. Did they achieve in maths and english - for example.
When I was growing up in school, every morning was set for lessons and every afternoon was for compulsory sport. Summer or winter, good weather or bad - we would be either running or playing rugby or hockey in winter, and atheletic and tennis or cricket in the summer. For me, the sport was survival. The academic side was a real struggle, but the Sport kept me alive and gave me value. Goodness knows what would have happened if I hadn't had that. In the mornings we thought and worked better, and in the afternon we burnt off our energy and played sport to high standards.
But now we have a virtually sportless school culture in the state school system. The sport has been tossed into the court of after school clubs.
If the Olympics is to change our sporting future, we have to kill the notion that the value of a person or a school is based on how well they achieve academically, and return to the days where a whole person approach is seen as a good thing, not a disability.

No comments: