Yesterday afternoon, after many months of looking guiltily at my home desk (it had become a collecting point), I finally sat down and started sorting and throwing out papers. It's because we have visitors coming soon, and ...well, you know how that goes!
And I came across this Wellington Weekly under a pile of papers. I really don't make a habit of keeping WWN copies, but this one I did! And I wondered why? And then I saw it!
It is not, and never was intended to be the only outreach of
WBC, even if some have perceived it as being so. In the town, others have come
after us and developed their own. All of them struggle for volunteers,
WP until 25 was made up of 2 shifts – day and evening, all
with their separate teams, which was intentionally designed so that new teams
came on site and they were fresh and energised and ready to go. In fact,
originally, WP went all through the entire day from morning through to evening,
serving lunch and supper. We saw the meal times naturally dominate, so people
would come mid-morning and settle in for lunch, then go. Then after lunch it
crashed to a mere few sat either asleep, reading or chatting. Then the late
afternoon surge for supper took place, with around 25 to 30. In 25 our evening
shift numbers crashed out and that made the leadership team make an honest
decision to review, and this led to close evenings. Unfortunately, the idea of
shifts has in a minority not been heard and some have been present all day and
night.
At its simplest, it is a response to show the love of Christ to those in the community in response to the call of Jesus to clothe, feed and care for those who cannot, because they are Christ, Matthew 25: 34-40.
In this context we are not directly evangelistic, but we are entirely missional. The thrust of such mission is therefore to show Christian love through practical care.
In the same way, those who attend Warm Place come from a
broad spectrum of largely non-church and faith based background. I know of one
distinct Christian attendee, for example. The vast majority are not. We see
some homeless, some who are not badly off but lonely, some who struggle with
mental health issues, some who are distinctly anti-church and faith.
WP is not a complicated vision, and in fact, the vision is in the Bible! Some suggest that having a more direct evangelistic vision to WP would solve the staffing challenges we have. All the text books say that vision can solve staffing. I
suspect that this isn’t the case in this instance. Unless that is, that what is
being said here is that “if the vision was one we liked, then we might join in
with it.”
It's good to remember where Refuge/WP came from, and to mark the 4 years we have been carrying out this ministry.


No comments:
Post a Comment