Monday 6 February 2012

A sign of the times and stuff

I keep my eyes open - sometimes it a bit like radar, but this morning something quite profound caught my eye as I paid for the fuel at the petrol station on the school run. It was a mum and two girls at the Costa counter. The girls were primary aged and in school uniform - standard for that time of dy. But what caught my eye was that she was saying for them to choose a sausage roll from the hot counter. Perhaps not unusual, except that it was just past 8am. Then my mind did some jumps and I realised that it was their breakfast. Then I did some more jumps and thought - yes, the mum looks single, on her own, and this was the best that she could do before school for them. As I walked out of the shop, I did a quick suss of the car they had gotten into, and well yes, ok, my prejudice made me do some more jumps, and concluded that she was recently seperated. Well, I don't know whether I was right or wrong, or whether my Sherlock deduction was appropriate, but I came away feeling sad for a while as I did the life building summary of those 3 lives that I had seen. Right or wrong, I do that some times, and couldn't help but think that it was a sign of the times that we are living in.

Well its February, and time is shifting on. I get the feeling that this year is going to speed by what with all that is planned nationally for us. Mixed emotions on that - do i want this year to steam by or go slow?

No comments: