Wednesday 11 January 2012

New Year - wierd time ... wierd people

I reckon I've said it before...but I'll say it again - New year is a wierd time! This year,we've not had the snow ... so far, so life is not on hold whilst everyone struggles to get from A to B or simply go out and play in it.
But there is a spectrum of behaviours in terms of the new year, isn't there? Some throw everything they can it new opportunities, others merely keep going as it was. Some make big plans and go mad in planning and diary stuff, others merely keep going as it was!
I don't want to dismiss the "do new things" camp, but there is a danger in doing some things that are so radical that they cannot be sustained. And if life is so full of change then the opposite effect to that which was desired can be the end result.
For a whole lot of other people - and I count myself in this camp this year, I feel I'm scrambling around at the moment trying to get my bearings in terms of what direction to go in. I'm doing what I guess are the important things - diary, paper work and ensuring that I do the ordinary things ok. But as it making announcements about "this is the direction to go in" then I am at the momenet reticent. Does this happen the older you get I ask myself? Am I merely, once again, a common statistic? Answer - probably yes!
And another thing - energy is low, but the to-do list if high. Can I flag up the enthusiasm to hit these things? Nah - the spiritual gift of procrastination needs to fully play its part!
But I find that if I have an enormous downer on myself as a result of this "spirit of sluggishness" that actually I will simply be worse off, and probably others around me too. So i find no sense of guilt in where I am, but am content to await the waves of the Spirit of God come when the time is right.
All that said, for me this is a time of internal growth. Of reflection and of recognising that I might not be the person I want to be, God wants me to be, and maybe others need me to me! I guess I'm just wierd then!

No comments: